UK First career move from practice to industry

Reaction score
Hi all
I am a qualified ACA & ACCA member currently working in top 10 practice working as audit senior. I qualified as ACCA member in 2008 & ACA member in 2010, I started my career in a small practice back in 2005. In the last 7 years, I have worked in 3 practices and prepared statutory accounts, bookkeeping, auditing, corporation & personal tax although in the last 2 years, I am only working in audit.

I have now reached the point when I have really had enough of working in audit under tight weekly 7 working days budgets, running to different business location & difficult clients, working evenings & weekends. I have been looking to move into more settled positions, roles in industry & commerce as general accountant, or management, financial accountant, however, it seems like it is very difficult to get into such roles. I haven’t been getting good response from the applications i have been making online through agents. I understand that we are competing against the professionals who have experience already working in industry.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is the best route, and what sort of organisations should be approached. Are there any courses that would be useful doing getting into industry roles such as training in ERP systems such as SAP, Oracle & Hyperion etc? I am currently on 40k, and i believe as this is the first move into industry, there would be a need to get into assistant roles, so to take the salary at 30k. Could you please advise if I am on the right path, or what is the best way to get into industry roles including large corporates to SME’s. Are there any agencies who are good at this in particular? Your thoughts and feedback will be highly appreciated, as I keep searching within myself.
Thank you all!

Reaction score
Having done it the other way round (went from industry to running my own practice) I can understand where you are coming from.

Being an in house accountant is a completely different kettle of fish than being a practice accountant. You need to be a lot more hands on that you are in practice.

On a serious note I would suggest doing a bookkeeping qualification because in my opinion (and this may not apply to you!) most auditors know how to interpret the figures on a profit & loss statement and balance sheet but have no idea how the figures got there!

Reaction score
I switched over from public accounting with a big four firm to industry and it was a big change. I thought that the transition over would be an easy one but booking journal entries at the detailed level much different than auditing line items on financial statements.

Ask a Question