USA First job ever made $2.56 in 2018; I didn't file taxes. Was this wrong of me?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am single, I don't own a car or home, I live with my parents and was and am still a dependent. In 2018 I did some online transcription work near the end of the year that earned me $2.56. I didn't think I had to file unless I made over $400, but one of the online transcription places I earned part of the $2.56 from had me fill out a W-2 form before hiring me. Should I now somehow file for the $2.56 I made in 2018, please? o_O

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Tax filing threshold for singles younger than 65 years of age is $ 12.200 for earned income or $ 1100 for unearned income. (dividends, interest) for fiscal year 2019.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
For Fiscal year 2019, the tax filing threshold is
a) $ 12.000 for single non blind younger than 65 years of age and/or
b) $ 1.100 unearned income (interest, dividend, capital gains)
The unearned limit only applies for individuals that are being claimed as dependents on somebody elses tax return.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tax filing threshold for singles younger than 65 years of age is $ 12.200 for earned income or $ 1100 for unearned income. (dividends, interest) for fiscal year 2019.
Again wrong. Check kiddie tax limits. Also the OP is speaking of earned income, so bringing unearned income into the picture just adds more confusion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the replies! :D … I wonder if that is twelve dollars and twenty cents and one dollar and ten cents; it seems to be a standard where you are consistently putting three zeros after the decimal, and I've never seen this done before … . If it were myself, this would mean that I accidentally put a period instead of a comma, or accidentally put extra zeros. ;) It must be a fancy accounting technique. :D
I've been thinking that I don't have to go back and file a tax form for 2018, even though I was given that W-2 form … . I remember telling myself that I had better not make over ten dollars before 2019, so as not to have to worry about being a newbie to all taxes … . I'm just not sure if this is right. It is nice that your reaction seems not to have been utter horror :eek: :mad: o_O that I didn't file taxes back in 2019 for the $2.56 earned in 2018.
I'm still worried that it might not be the right thing, :oops: but I think I won't try to go back and file for 2018 … . Well, it would be rather difficult to try and figure out how to file for a past year, but besides that ulterior reason its looking like it will be alright. ;)

Ask a Question