USA Fixed Asset Purchase-Leasehold Improvement or Equipment?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our company just purchased and had installed two new air conditioners and heating units. The cost was 32k. I'm not sure where to record the sale. We are tenants and pay rent each month. Should I record the units under Equipment or as a Leasehold Improvement? I looked up leasehold improvement for our new roof, and it says the items must be inside the building. The business and building are owned by the same people. The building was placed in a holding company separate from the manufacturing business. The lease states we are responsible for any maintenance issues, so we pay the bills from the manufacturing company.
Thanks,
Peg

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I assume the units remain with the property and therefore is a leasehold improvement and depreciated over lease term. Not sure why you think it has to be inside to qualify - it just has to be part of the premises being leased. If they can be kept by you at expiry of lease its a fixed asset and depreciated over useful life. You will have to consider an Asset Retirement liability to put the premise back in its original use if required by the lease.

Ask a Question