Fixed Assets accruals

Reaction score
Country
Poland
If we have situation when there are goods received but invoice not received – for fixed assets – should be make an accrual for it (as this is BS and not IS items). How to treat them?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
DR Fixed Assets
CR Accounts Payable

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I assume CR should be Accrual account ?

DR Fixed Assets
CR Accounts Payable
I assume CR should be Accrual account ?
OK, but is it common to accrue CAPEX? What about depreciation? Should it be also somehow accrued?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Accounts Payable is the accrual account

You received the equipment so a liability to pay for it needs to be accrued.

Depreciation starts when you place the equipment into service.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I further suggest, that for records and easier reference sake, you attach a copy of the purchase order to the accounting document that you use as a voucher for the book entry.

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Thank you for the answers.
The reason why I asking is that in my company we exclude CAPEX from accruals and just wondering why...
I was also wondering if we should acccrue only cost of depreciation for one period (as the cost will be spread for some of periods)

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One reason for exclusion of CAPEX purchases from the accrual process is that the person doing the accruals might only be looking at month-to-month EXPENSE fluctuations and not aware of equipment purchases.
You do not decide to "accrue" (as a decision) depreciation expense. You record it starting in the month the equipment was placed in service. (But this is probably just semantics.)

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yes, Kirby, a lot of it has indeed to do with semantics, when it comes to answering accounting/tax questions to people at different levels of experience. Therefore, I often use the words "it depends" as a request for additional information in order to enable me to give a tailor-made reply.

Ask a Question