UK Fixed assets reclassification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lets say a real estate company have been doing business for 1 year, they own $2000 worth of houses and accum depreciation is $200. They only rent their houses all year, BUT they decided to put a house on sales at the end of the financial year. Lets just say the house’s value is 200 and depreciation for the year for this house is 20. So what is the journal entry for this?

1) Do i just Dr closing inventory 200, Cr houses 200 ? But if i did this, what about the 20 depreciation for this particular house, do we ignore it?

2) After i do the reclassification, Dr closing inventories, do we need to put this in income statement’s Less: closing inventory? If thats the case, their COGS will be Opening inventory(0, since they dont have inventory until today) – Closing inventory(200) = -200

Please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would treat it as a sale/disposal of an asset.

Here is a video that does a great job explaining it. In this case, it is equipment, but it would be no different with a building.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would treat it as a sale/disposal of an asset.

Here is a video that does a great job explaining it. In this case, it is equipment, but it would be no different with a building.
no the question im doing require me to transfer the houses to "inventory" which is "for sale" and not just sell the houses

Ask a Question