Foreign Income for form 1116

Reaction score
We have a large foreign tax carryover from 2006-2008, 2 year assignment of my husband's abroad. We lived in Europe for my husband's work for 10 weeks the summer of 2010.

I am aware foreign travel can be applied to the foreign tax carryover. But, I am unsure what documentation is needed to prove the travel assignment is valid. Also, he travels to Shanghai for 2 weeks at a time about 3 times a year. I would like to use these trips as well against our foreign tax credit.

I have yet to find a credible source of information that states exactly what is needed. I have read the directions for form 1116 with a fine tooth comb and am not finding anything concrete. I have an accounting degree and feel comfortable filing our taxes but, this has me stumped.

What documentation should we use to validate these work trips to use some of the foreign tax credit carryover? Plane tickets? Passport stamps? Letter from employer?

Ask a Question