USA Form 8060 help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Traditional IRA that contains pre-tax dollars that were rolled into it from a previous 401K. I have not contributed any money to it for years. Due to my Income level I am unable to contribute to a Roth IRA directly so each year we open another IRA where we contribute $5500 post tax dollars, roll it into a Roth IRA , and then close it again. When entering my info into Turbo Tax, the 8060 form seems to generate some taxable income based on my total value of all IRA's (as of 12/31/17) which is where I have been entering the total of the Traditional IRA which was my 401K rollover. My assumption is that I should not be paying any takes on that money? I think this is related to line 6 or line 2? Any help would be appreciated!

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have old traditional IRA money you cannot do a simple backdoor Roth. You need to allocate the amount converted prorata between old and new money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really appreciate your response! I assume the contributions I made would be declared as "nondeductible" contributions since they were made above the MAGI limits correct?

Ask a Question