Free of charge goods (FOC) to customers

Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes we want to sell to customers like this: for every 5 unit purchase, customers got 1 free. Let assume selling price is $10 per unit, and cost is $5.

An accountant wants to do accounting treatment like below:

Dr. Cash: $50
Cr. Sales Revenue: $50 (5 units x $10)

Dr. Deduction from Sales Revenue $5 (cost of 1 unit free)
Dr. Cost of good sold: $25 (5 units x $5)
Cr. Inventory: $30

I do not quite understand why the free unit is valued at cost in the deduction account. Please tell me if it is in accordance with IAS?.

Thanks

Triest123

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes we want to sell to customers like this: for every 5 unit purchase, customers got 1 free. Let assume selling price is $10 per unit, and cost is $5.

An accountant wants to do accounting treatment like below:

Dr. Cash: $50
Cr. Sales Revenue: $50 (5 units x $10)

Dr. Deduction from Sales Revenue $5 (cost of 1 unit free)
Dr. Cost of good sold: $25 (5 units x $5)
Cr. Inventory: $30

I do not quite understand why the free unit is valued at cost in the deduction account. Please tell me if it is in accordance with IAS?.

Thanks
=> The situation is just like you give a trade discount of about 17% for selling
6 units to your customer

Sales Revenue $10 x 6 units x 83% = $50

Reaction score
Yes, but the issue is deduction amount. The accountant wants to book the discount is $5, instead $10, as you can see above accounting treatmen.

Triest123

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the issue is deduction amount. The accountant wants to book the discount is $5, instead $10, as you can see above accounting treatmen.
=> The "stock-in" & "stock-out" on the inventory report are all based on costs,
otherwise, you can't comput the closing stock value precisely.
i

Reaction score
Answer:

Because we are writing inventory at cost not on selling price, that is why we write one extra unit at cost.i-e $5.

Hope answered.

Ask a Question