From Private into Public

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I graduated couple months ago with 150 credits, and excepted an offer for Staff Accountant position at a relatively big company. Before that I worked for 2 small CPA firms doing taxes seasonally (2 tax seasons January-June) and as a bookkeeper for a small business in between the seasons, that served me as my internship and I gained some experience through college in both public and private. I had an offer to stay at the last CPA firm, but the pay would have been so + no benefits, that's why I took the Staff Acc. job. I am currently working on my CPA, and my goal is to come back into public accounting again but be hired by a big acc. firm. I am not aiming at Big Four, but mid-tier firms like Baker Tilly, Wipfli, CLA, or smth else regional would be just fine. I am thinking there is now career progression without public acc. experience, and don't want to sit in the industry and wait to be promoted, besides in public you learn way more. And, I don't mind working long hours during the season... So my question is: would it be possible to be hired by a good and reputable regional firm if I show up on the job market again in a year with the CPA passed? I am kind of worried because those firms they hire their own Interns, and also, would the year in private be an obstacle to get that kind of job? I really didn't have a chance to do internships at big acc. companies, cause I am 28 now and I wanted to graduate as soon as possible, and I didn't want to take the whole semester off to do internship (it is a requirement at those firms), so had to go with smaller ones, 'cause they're more flexible if you're still taking classes at school. Also, I didn't have any chance to wait until September, when those firm start to recruit, and I needed a good job with benefits. So, would my come back be possible, would age be an issue, would working in private be a problem? I would appreciate any advice.

Ask a Question