USA Gap between school and employment

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received my master of accountancy Dec 13'.
Since then I have moved states and have been doing non professional work (driving uber. don't judge it pays better than 1st year accountants) while trying to start my own business. Not really something to put on a resume, I know.

While I am still trying to start my own business, it is taking longer than i'd like and this gap between graduating and finding professional work is really dawning on me.

How bad is this going to be for me if I pursue work with the big 4 or a good 2nd tier firm.

I turned 23 in Feb (received my masters at 21). This isn't a getting old crisis, just a crap how the hell do I explain this on a resume/in an interview.

What's the damage guys.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are intent on starting your own business then focus 100% on that. If you want to join a CPA firm then focus on that. Since what you decided on was the former- for right now anyway, understand that the
longer the gap between your MA degree and seeking an acctg job will not work in your favor. Also the longer the gap the more likely that your current earnings will be more than that for an entry level acctg staff for a CPA firm. Just like what you said about your Uber pay.

Note that interest in you will wane as time goes on, unless you are earning equivalent CPA experience elsewhere. You can't choose one path and still remain a stellar candidate for the other.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
You can't choose one path and still remain a stellar candidate for the other.
Thank you for your words Kirby. I'm considering a transition too. Maybe it's the most important thing to just choose one path and focus on that.

Ask a Question