New Zealand General Ledger adjustments

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there I am an accounts administration student and for my assignment I have to write up a statement of financial position. The question states that I first must make adjustments to the general ledger and ensure the credits and debits balance. I have done this but when I try to write up a statement of financial position the net assets and the closing balance and total equity do not match?? i have checked everything and the only thing i can think that i have done wrong are the adjustments to the ledger. These are the two things i had to add Inventories on hand after a physical stock count at $21,000 and Owner contributing cash $20,000. I assumed that the owner adding cash would affect the owners capital and cash so they would both increase that seems ok but when adding inventory to the debit side I am unsure as to what would be credited?

DTA93433

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The offsetting credit against Inventory should be to COGS (Cost of Goods Sold). This will have the effect of reducing Cost of Goods Sold; increasing Gross Profit (as well as Net Income) and ultimately represent an increase in Owner's Equity. An increase to inventories increases total assets.

The adjustment you made for the $20k capital contribution seems correct. This too will increase total assets and owner's equity.

Re-run your adjusted trial balance and prepare another Balance Sheet. If done correctly, total assets less liabilities should equal owner's equity.

Good luck.

Ask a Question