General Partnership Questions


B

bookman

I am in a general partnership (with one partner and the
profits/losses pass through to my partner and myself) and I
understand that I can claim my insurance premiums, but not
my medical expenses (doctor visit co-pays, meds, etc)...is
this correct? If so where do I claim the insurance
premiums?.... on my personal or my partnership return (also
what form do I claim it on)?

#2-I had my taxes prepared last year, where can I claim the
cost of the tax prep? On my 1065? if so, what line?

#3-Where do I claim mileage for business related travel?

Thanks so much for all of the advice!
 
Ad

Advertisements

H

Harlan Lunsford

bookman said:
I am in a general partnership (with one partner and the
profits/losses pass through to my partner and myself) and I
understand that I can claim my insurance premiums, but not
my medical expenses (doctor visit co-pays, meds, etc)...is
this correct? If so where do I claim the insurance
premiums?.... on my personal or my partnership return (also
what form do I claim it on)?
Your own 1040.
#2-I had my taxes prepared last year, where can I claim
the cost of the tax prep? On my 1065? if so, what line?
ONLY on your schedule A, 1040. One of the things I see
quite often is another preparer taking all fees paid
accountants as a business expense, whether on schedule c
(mostly), 1065, or 1120(s). I just wonder how many other tax
practioners break the 1040 fee down as to amounts paid for
schedule c or e for use inpreparing the next year's tax
return?
#3-Where do I claim mileage for business related travel?
Best way here is to turn in your business mileage monthly to
the partnership and get the business to cut you a check for
miles x 36 cents.

Cheer$,
Harlan Lunsford, EA in LA
 
M

Michael T Wing CPA

Harlan Lunsford said:
I just wonder how many other tax
practioners break the 1040 fee down as to amounts paid for
schedule c or e for use inpreparing the next year's tax
return?
I break it down roughly, but I don't get too scientific
about it. <g> Mainly, I just make sure that some reasonable
portion of the fee (typically at least $100) is claimed on
Schedule A. In my scheme, rental properties or other
business activities are usually "good" for $100/each, but a
larger amount can go on Schedule C if significant
bookkeeping/accounting was involved.

MTW
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Utterback, EA

Harlan Lunsford said:
bookman wrote:
ONLY on your schedule A, 1040. One of the things I see
quite often is another preparer taking all fees paid
accountants as a business expense, whether on schedule c
(mostly), 1065, or 1120(s). I just wonder how many other tax
practioners break the 1040 fee down as to amounts paid for
schedule c or e for use inpreparing the next year's tax
return?
<snipped again>

We use a fee schedule and can calculate precisely how much
of our fee each year was related to a business form like
Schedule C, E, or F on the 1040. The following year we claim
that amount as professional fees on that particular
Schedule.

Gene E. Utterback, EA
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Terminating a General Partnership 0
general question 0
General Question 1
general question 4
General questions 4
General FP Questions 4
General report question 0
General Accounting Question 1

Top