USA Getting a job with cpa license

Reaction score
Country
United States
so I'm reading online that a cpa license isn't enough for a job in accounting. would it be better to also get an associate's in accounting and work my way up with experience as an accounting assistant? would that be a possible transition? what's your experience with the cpa license? I'm from california btw.

will a cpa license be enough for me to get a career in accounting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
so I'm reading online that a cpa license isn't enough for a job in accounting. would it be better to also get an associate's in accounting and work my way up with experience as an accounting assistant? would that be a possible transition? what's your experience with the cpa license? I'm from california btw.

will a cpa license be enough for me to get a career in accounting?
also I'm studying for CFA as well and I have a bachelor's in economics

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A CPA license, by itself, is not a guarantee of a career - i.e. absolutely getting a job. An employer will also consider your work experience and your personal qualities.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought of the CPA license as an OPTION after obtaining a bachelor's degree in accounting or finance. I could be wrong but seems to me your post indicates it is possible to obtain a CPA even before obtaining a bachelor's degree, which I think is impossible.

In order to get a CPA, one must have a certain amount of university credits (ie usually a bachelor's at a minimum) and then ALSO work as an accountant under the supervision of a CPA for a couple years and then and only then can you take the CPA exams to land the coveted license.

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Most states if not all require 150 hours of college credits to even start the process of sitting for the CPA exam. That means one year beyond the standard BS degree.

Having a license does not mean you are employable and/or can provide accounting services.

CA is a good example. It is over-regulated in my opinion. It gives many licenses to "healers" that cannot heal. But it does not give licenses to healers that can heal.

The reason for this is some can get through the credentialing process. Whereas others, particularly immigrants that may have been fully licensed doctors in their home country, cannot get through the credentialing process or do not deem it worthwhile.

There are a lot of discussions about getting an accounting job or starting or altering such a career and getting an EA, CPA or other licenses. Licenses are generally good mostly for marketing. This is true whether you are marketing yourself to a prospective employer or a prospective client.

But there has to be substance over form in order to make a living.

I knew one CPA that passed all four parts of the exam in one sitting. That is not a common task. So I often wondered if something happened to him after passing the exam because he could not make a journal entry or even reconcile a bank account.

The CPA license got him into the office. But his lack of ability to perform had him exited from the office just as quick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
"I knew one CPA that passed all four parts of the exam in one sitting. That is not a common task. So I often wondered if something happened to him after passing the exam because he could not make a journal entry or even reconcile a bank account."

Wow that is mind-numbing ! To sit for and pass each 4 exams on the first try is a stellar grand achievement, one that normally signifies an impressive amount of accounting knowledge & skill. So to hear he could then barely make journal entries or do reconciliations --- i.e. fairly easy accounting duties --- is astonishing.
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
India
Having the CPA designation next to your name would open many opportunities for you in fields of audit, taxation, business analyst, research, and other finance and accounting areas. All the best with your career!

Ask a Question