USA Getting CPA experience

Reaction score
Hi! I have what may seem an odd question. I recently completed a master's degree in accounting but I have zero accounting experience. I would like to become certified as a CPA, but experience is required to do so. Here's the problem: I already have a job I like and do not wish to take a full-time entry-level accounting position. Is there any way I can get the experience necessary on a very part-time or contract basis? Is there any creative solution to my problem? Thanks for your help!

Chris

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on the state you live in. For example, in California they have a CPA designation for those who have audit experience and another CPA designation for those who do not. I really do not know why this is but there it is. Maybe they have pilot licenses for those who have flown a plane and for those who have not?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kirby. I live in Maryland. I do think experience would be useful to me even though I'm not currently in an accounting position. CPA certification or no, I can't claim to know what I am doing without some experience in the field! It's getting the experience without giving up my current job that is the issue. My job is flexible, however, so there is room to squeeze in some part-time accounting work. The question might then be who would hire me on that kind of basis with no starting experience?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked up Maryland and it has a law that makes more sense than California's in that actual experience is required to be given a CPA license. The required experience is a LOT of hours, though. 2,000 hours. All I can suggest is to contact local CPA firms and see if they are interested in accommodating you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
there was a change in requirements

There was a change in the requirements to be eligable to sit for the CPA exam. When I looked up the requirements- you either need the experience in a CPA firm OR 150 credit hours of college coursework. This could be state specific but its worth lookin into again. I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The requirements for sitting for the Maryland CPA exam requires ether experience OR 150 credit hours of education. I would attach a link to the site but I cannot as I am still a new member, but there is a download for all states that have enacted the 150 credit hour requirement. If you have your Masters , you should easily have the 159 credit hours requirement. Hope this helps..

Ask a Question