USA Getting CPA experience

Reaction score
Hi! I have what may seem an odd question. I recently completed a master's degree in accounting but I have no accounting experience. I would like to become certified as a CPA, but experience is required to do so. Here's the problem: I already have a job I like and do not wish to take a full-time entry-level accounting position. Is there any way I can get the experience necessary on a very part-time or contract basis? Is there any creative solution to my problem? Thanks for your help!

Chris

Reaction score
Chris,

You say you have no accounting experience, so I assume your current job has nothing do to with accounting? If you're happy where you are in a non-accounting position, why are you seeking a CPA license?

Reaction score
Excellent question. The answer is a little complicated. I'm self-employed right now and do a variety of things. I love the flexibility, autonomy, and variety this affords me, but I don't love a lot of the work I do. Also, I make significantly more now than I would as an entry-level accountant. I don't want to give up the flexibility and income I enjoy now, but I would like to add accounting to my skill set. In an ideal world, I would add accounting into the mix of work I do without taking a job as a full-time employee somewhere. I've already started doing some personal taxes, but I would like to expand on this and learn from some more experienced accountants. I am very interested in accounting (I did get a master's in it, after all) and would like to start actually practicing. Lastly, my self-employment work can be unpredictable. If my current work starts to dry up or look undependable moving forward, I need a back-up plan. That's one of the reasons I got the master's in the first place. But an accounting degree with no experience is not worth much to me right now. Does that help answer the question? Thanks for your reply!

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would start out throwing a part-time job at a firm into your mix. This way, you get experience and if you are recognized with potential, the firm will pick you up in a real way and help you move into a career in the field. You may have to try several firms, but I think you should do fine. Good luck!

Reaction score
I understand you make money now, but if you want to be a cpa theres no way around the experience rule.

look into accounttemps and set up a meeting.

start interviewing with cpa firms for staff accountant and/or intern roles ASAP

Reaction score
Thanks, mckeevet. I'm not trying to get around the experience rule. I think it's very important. I was just wondering what my options were if I wanted to make accounting a part-time job. Thanks for the advice!

Ask a Question