USA Getting previous employer to certify experience

Reaction score
Country
United States
I passed the last section of the CPA exam (Ohio) in December. However, in Ohio the licensing board requires 3 years of experience certified by your employer(s). In September, I started a new job after being with the same company for 10 years.

The new company immediately certified such experience as I have, but the old company (and therefore the one I need to qualify with 3 years of experience) has not responded to multiple requests.

Is there anything I can do, other than wait till I've been with the new company for 3 years to actually apply for the license? Does the licensing board ever make exceptions in situations like this? (I'm thinking not...)

Has this happened to anyone else?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you were on good terms with a partner or manager of old company, ask that person to intercede for you.
If that does not work, call licensing board and tell them of your situation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I've sent a message on LinkedIn to the president of the company...his kids are in sports with my kids. If I don't hear from him in a week or so, I won't stalk them any further :) and will just call the licensing board.

I guess I was really wondering if the licensing board ever actually makes exceptions for this, like do they just ask me to otherwise prove my employment (copies of W-2's, or something)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: company president talked to my former boss, and I got the following response from her:

Hello Ashley,
The form you have asked me to sign states that I would be attesting to your qualifying experience in compliance with section 4701.06 of Ohio Revised code and Administrative rule 4701-7-05 of the Accountancy Board of Ohio. As I understand these statutes, qualifying experience includes consulting services, personal financial planning services, preparation of tax returns, furnishing of advice on tax matters, preparation of financial reports, signing financial reports, preparing reports on internal controls or signing repost on internal controls. I am sorry, but I do not see where Credit and Collection work fits this criteria for qualifying experience and, therefore, do not feel that I can sign this.
Regards,
T

I had thought that "industry experience" now qualified...thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Further update - if you look up the statutes above, she's correct. However, I was also mistaken in thinking I needed three years to qualify. I actually only need one, so I can now apply in about 6 months. Happy day. :D

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Ashley

The term "experience" when used with respect to obtaining a CPA license is a defined "jargon" term. It should be more clearly stated as " the experience ONLY acquired while working for a CPA or CPA firm." There are states where you can simply pass the CPA exam (plus some schooling) and obtain the title "CPA" and California is an example. California issues two types of CPA licenses - An "A" which is a full blown license and a "G" under which the holder CANNOT sign audit reports. For the G license you do not need to have worked for a CPA firm and done audits. So it is like being called a bullfighter although you never have and never can enter a bullring. Anyway, I suggest you call the Accountancy Board of Ohio to discuss your situation directly and see if your work experience will qualify.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For others in Ohio - according to accountancy board, industry (non-CPA firm) experience DOES count, but at this point frankly it's not worth having the argument with the former company. Just gonna hang out here and apply in 6 months, as before.

Sheesh. :)

Ask a Question