Getting Started

Reaction score
My boyfriend is a new graduate (last December), and holds a BA in Business Management Economics with an emphasis in Accounting. He wants to gain experience in the field and eventually be a CPA (he is actually studying right now to take the exams in a few months). Unfortunately, he finds himself working at a dead end customer service temp job while looking for real work in the field. It has been really hard for him to get his foot in the door; he has been sending out his resume to all kinds of local CPA firms in hopes of just getting an interview, but he can't even get an interview. I know that if he could get an interview, he would be set because he is very competent and I feel that they would see that. Any suggestions or advice in how he can get an entry level staff accountant position??? It seems that the accounting world is only looking to hire more experienced professionals, but they must get started somewhere right? How can he get started? I feel that as he gets further and further from his graduation date, employers will be less willing to consider him at all.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Times are tough right now and many companies are not staffing as they should. In my company, all open positions are frozen and no hirings permitted unless the position is critical. This puts more work on the existing staff and limits opportunities for new grads to apply. My suggestion is to not solely focus on working in a CPA firm as a private firm will offer a lot of opportunities to learn accounting and give him time to search for a position in a CPA firm once the market opens up a bit more.

Has he also tried using a headhunter to assist in placing him in a trainee role? Many CPA firms will utilize these firms to get the candidates and typically interview them if the firm recommends someone.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many and will be happy to get your business since this is how they generate commissions. Just do a search on the internet for "Accounting Recruiters" and you will see a whole lot. The few that I worked with in the past that I had success with include Robert Half and Executive (though these specialize on executive recruitments at the senior manager level). Its not important where they are located but you want to be sure they specialize in placing accountants. They should also help you draft a resume that is geared to any of the jobs they are searching to fill. Best of luck in your search!

Ask a Question