Graduating with Question

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently 23 years old and have switched to Accounting about one year ago. I have a 2.7 overall GPA. I had a son two years ago and that has been a blessing, but definitely a stress on my schooling. I will be graduating next May and actively pursuing to graduate with a 2.75.

I currently work with the local government in accounts receivables and work with a CPA in the evenings doing various tasks.

I am writing because I am seeing what peoples thoughts are about my job prospects when I graduate.

I do plan on obtaining my CPA.

Thanks for the words guys, positive or negative!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are working now and in this economy, that's a blessing too! Prospects for a new job will be , frankly, limited. The GPA will not be attractive to - for example the large CPA firms as there will be others who have better grades but - again - it is not a problem where you are working now, so let's keep that in mind. Capitalize on your strengths : 1 ) the current job and 2) the contact with the CPA you work with. Follow your goal of obtaining a CPA license. When you graduate go ahead and interview for your dream jobs - just understand that you cannot "sell" on your grades but can sell on work experience , on your maturity and your clear objectives. Good luck!

Reaction score
You have great accounting experience right now that you should continue to build up off of. Kirby is right, with your GPA it would be difficult to get a job with higher caliber firms, but there are many local opportunities with smaller businesses. Eventually your work experience will outweigh your GPA and then you can apply for those jobs. And of course you could work for yourself and gradually pick up clients on the side.

Ask a Question