Grants and Assets

Reaction score
We are having a debate between the president of our company and the accounting department, I am hoping someone can help me find the correct answer to the problem.

Awhile back (June of 2010) we recieved a grant from the state to install a elevator. The grant was receorded as revenue and the money was held in the bank. In July we paid half of the price to install the elevator to the contractor. This payment was recorded as credit to cash and debit to buildings (asset). The elevator was finished in August and the final payment was made using the same entry as noted above. In August we started recroding the accumulated depreciation.

Our President is saying the elevator can not be an asset because technically we didn't pay for it. The cost of the asset was not an expense to us so it should not be depreciated.

Our Auditors are saying yes it is an asset and needs to be depreciated.

Our Accounting manager is saying the revenue was overstated in June. The grant should be deferred and matched against the expense (allocated over the life of the asset).

Can anyone tell me who is right or how this transaction should have been handeled? If we don't record the asset and we sell it we will have a big gain which isn't accurate. Or if we expense the depreciation each month we will be showing an expense which really isn't ours. :confused:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your auditors are correct.
Let's take the President's point of view and just change the facts to where your grant paid for 4 additional staff and your payroll expense therefore increased. Using the President's logic he would have to say there should be no increase to payroll expense because the money came from a grant.
So - just because the money came from a grant does not mean that it continues to be the "gift that keeps on giving." You record the receipt of the grant as Revenue and there is no "magic" to the use of those funds. Be CAREFUL in letting the President know this. Better yet let the auditors tell the President!

Reaction score
i'm with you

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I agree with your assessment. I try to stay out of the middle of these discussions. I was thnking the auditors were making the most sense, but I'm not an accountant so sometimes I like to get an outside opinion.

Thanks again for the input.

Ask a Question