Has Intuit lost it?

Reaction score
Recently I was told that unless I updated to Quicken 2012 my on line stuff would no longer work. So I upgraded. Now I can no longer back up on line. I get a message that says I'm over my disk space. The Online Backup app says I'm backing up 69.5MB-well under the 100MB I should have. When I look at the Restore in the app I can see that they are keeping multiple copies some more than 90 days old. I was told by support that the only way to fix the problem was to buy more storage so they can keep more copies and then sell me more storage. WHAT ARE THEY DOING?
Then I tried to use manual matching on some downloaded data. The list of items to choose from to match is useless. I was trying to match a downloaded transaction that was a $1000 withdrawal from an investment account. Instead of listing all of the uncleared transactions, the manual match list included only a $.75 interest income transaction.SURELY QUICKEN IS SMARTER THAN THIS.
I've been using Quicken and Turbo Tax for years without problems like this. Support is no help at all. They told me to buy more storage-NO CHANCE. They haven't even bothered to respond to the manual matching question.
I have no choice but to start looking for other options for managing my finances and taxes.
Has anyone else had issues with Intuit recently? I think they've lost the push for customer satisfaction that they used to have.

Reaction score
I can't answer you're question but, been a Bookkeeper for the past 10 years, I've hated Quickbooks as the company ever since having to purchase a Mac version (for use with some clients) at the same price as a Windows version and the Mac version only offered 20% of the options. Barely did it compare to the Windows version.
And after a few tech support calls to Intuit I was certain that they only cared about getting more money out of me than offering good quality customer support.
Apparently they know they have little to no competition in the Financial Software industry so, they don't need to care!

I'm ready to jump ship once a new improved software company comes out with anything! If they designed something a little more versatile like Quicken but with much more reports and options, that would be perfect!
I'm hoping some investors and expert accountants will get started on something new.
There are plenty of others out there ready to try something new!
Crossing my fingers for now.

Reaction score
I can't answer you're question but, been a Bookkeeper for the past 10 years, I've hated Quickbooks as the company ever since having to purchase a Mac version (for use with some clients) at the same price as a Windows version and the Mac version only offered 20% of the options. Barely did it compare to the Windows version.
You should seriously consider operating QuickBooks (or any accounting software for that matter) in the cloud if you are using a Mac.
That's what I suggest to all of my clients and accounting friends.
You can then gain full functionality and never have any problems going between machines.
Not only that but you will gain all the benefits of hosted QuickBooks and virtual desktops... The adoption rate of cloud-based QuickBooks is staggering and for good reason.
I'd post a link to some blogs I think have great info regarding this, but I am a new user and the rules are prohibiting me from doing so... However, One in particular recently wrote an article specifically regarding running QuickBooks on a Mac and why/how it works better in the cloud.
If you google "QuickBooks in the cloud" you will find it. It's a wordpress site. qbcloud wordpress or something like that.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Day006 - If you are looking for a complete solution there are various out there including: Mint, Wave Accounting, Xero, FreshBooks - these are all of the top guys taking the accounting market slowly from intuit.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Intuit and their Quicken/Quickbooks products have sucked after they moved away from DOS versions. Data entry is horribly slow, all the windows issues plague reliable operation, and the endless updates just keeps bloating it out of control.

As zackwilson mentioned, there's several new comers to the accounting space and even more if you do searches for them. If you want a free solution, GnuCash is your solution--even available as a portable app so no installation required. :)

Ask a Question