UK Has the DWP paid my NI contributions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have no idea if I might be entitled to a state pension in the future. I became ill at 18 and received income support for more than 20 years. I still currently receive DLA but stopped claiming other benefits about 4 years ago. I assumed, having never paid NI contributions myself that I would not be eligible for a state pension in the future. I have never been able to do paid work and am now 44. Can anyone advise me? I'm happy to start paying contributions that I owe if it will allow me to get a pension in the future.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need to get in touch with them directly. From your N.I number they'll be able to provide you the amount of any contributions that have been made and where you're at in terms of eligibility for a full state pension.

There is the still the basic state pension though that everybody gets regardless of their N.I contributions. It's just not as much as the full state pension based on complete N.I contributions.

I'm also pretty sure that you can make a payment to DWP to cover any shortfall in N.I contributions over the past years.

Speaking to DWP directly is the best thing to do though.

Ask a Question