UK hello peeps - acca query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello peeps,
I am new to this forum and have a question for you all: can you tell me about ACCA quals and the companies that offer this education? I am considering becoming an accountant , but have been baffled by the sites so far.
any advice would be good! Thanks, George.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Checking out the ACCA website would probably be a good start!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
that's the whole problem - it's complicated - how much does it cost, what is acca? etc!!
george

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ACCA is the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.

To qualify, you have to take 14 out of 16 available papers covering (amongst other things) financial accounting, management accounting, tax, audit, law:

F1 - F9 - these are the foundation papers. You might be eligible for exemptions from some of them if you already have finance qualifications.

P1 - P3: these are essentials and must be taken

P4 - P7: You have to take 2 out of 4 of these papers.

Use to be that you had 10 years to complete all exams, after that you would be time-barred and unable to sit any more. As of this year you can take as long as you like to get through F1 - F9, but you need to pass the next 5 within a rolling 7 years. ie if you sit P1 this year and haven't passed all 5 of the required P level exams by 2022, then P1 would drop off the end and you would have to sit it again.

Whilst that is going on, you also need a minimum of 3 years work experience in a finance role and have to complete the ACCA personal objectives that need signed off by a qualified accountant - usually in your workplace. There's 13 of them and you can do them whilst studying or afterwards, but you have to achieve them all to qualify on top of passing all the exams. And there's an ethics module now that you have to do as well - you do that online whenever you want, so it's probably the lesser of the evils.

As for the cost of it, it all depends. Employers aren't obliged to fund anybody, but many do and will cover the cost of you going through the exams via day release, evening, weekend or self-studying.

You don't have to have an employer pay for you though - anybody can do these exams. You can register with ACCA as a student and go though the exams yourself. To get the PER objectives though, you're going to have to either be in, or get yourself into a finance role, but to do the exams, you can study for them on your own if you want to.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many companies will pay for ACCA training although they are not obliged to as Fidget has highlighted. Many big firms, locally and nationally advertise for trainees and will pay for their training. I wrote to a couple of firms to see if they had vacancies and thankfully one did. I was already paying for F6,F7 and F8 personally and my new employer said they would now pay for it. Do you have any relevant education on finance or any other related area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd follow Ben's advice and see if there's any training opportunities at some practices near yourself.

Ask a Question