Hello! :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, my name is Amanda and I am just recently ( 2.5 days ago) enrolled into school to get my Accounting Degree. :D

I have always loved simple math that had to do with money and organizing the numbers. Though it has been years since I have taken any math course let alone an accounting course I am extremely motivated to get my degree. At the moment I work in customer service and have realized that I have had enough of serving customers who think they are better than you and think they deserve discounts upon discounts. My husband and best friend convinced me to go back to school and get myself better job opportunities than I could ever have imagined I could be qualified for.

I would love to have someone or multiple people to talk to about my accounting course, especially since I don't want to drive my husband or best friend nuts by talking their ears off on a subject neither of them enjoy. I would have to start off talking to you on here first and then after time if we become better acquainted we may add each other on Facebook since I always have my messenger on me when I'm not at work.

I admit I am a shy person, though working customer service for years has helped bring me out of my shell to some degree. You probably wont see me post much, unless I am sure of what I am saying or if I feel comfortable saying something at that time. I have social anxiety and it is something I work with every day to overcome. However, if you message me I will be sure to reply in a timely fashion. :)

I am just looking for like minded people who are either also taking accounting or are already accountants to talk to about my studies so that I can do well in school. As I said I only started school 2.5 days ago, so I am still in my orientation class.... I will be starting my actual accounting classes very soon... I am hoping by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I am taking the course online and it is a work at my own pace schooling. The only reason it has been taking me so long to get thru my orientation class is because I am revising my notes over and over to get them just right. Now that I am into the correct way of taking notes it may take me shorter amount of time or because they are more detailed it might take longer. Guess I'll see lol.

If you are still reading this then thank you! I tend to ramble when I am nervous and don't know what to say lol. o_O

As you can tell from my name I am a laid back person who just wants to enjoy life and make some good money to do something I love lol.

So if you've read this and don't think I'm a waist of your time then send me a message and we can chat about all this wonderful stuff.... I might not know a lot yet but just wait, I am going to go nuts on this program and absorb as much as I possibly can!! If you want to be study buddies just let me know! :)

Well it is now almost 1am and I am getting up again at 7:30am at the latest so that I can be ready to start my studies again by 8am.... o_O hope you all are having a wonderful time of day! :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Welcome aboard Lady Sativa! How was your class going? :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got a 93% on my orientation class exam :) Unfortunately due to work and being sick I have not been able to progress into my next lesson as far as I would have liked, I am about half way. I have been reading my notes a lot in my spare moments. I plan to look them over some more tonight and then get up early tomorrow to continue on. Thankfully I am taking my course online and it is a study at my own pace kind of school so I am able to make up for what I have lacked in the last few days on my up coming days off. Thank you for your message :) Hope you are having a wonderful day/night... (depending on when you read this lol) :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy New Year. Hope you enjoy your classes in 2020 and beyond. I just received my bachelor's in accounting (online university) in 2018.

One general word of advice: mentally, take it one class at a time. Looking at the fact you need lots of credits to finally complete the degree was too stressful for me....but each time I finished a course, it was a wonderful mini-achievement.

Also, not sure if your university offers it, but mine offered FREE online tutoring (via tutor.com I think) when I attended. In many topics like math and accounting and science. If you have that free service it sure is handy. I don't mind you PM'ing me on facebook (facebook.com/tempetony) but honestly I hop on facebook only ~ once weekly so not sure if my replies will be timely for your coursework questions.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and Happy New Year to you also!! Thank you for your message! :)

I agree, there are many courses I have to take and though I have looked at the list a few times I mainly just focus on the study unit I am currently on and look forward to each mini-achievement that comes along. Speaking of, I did my Intro into Accounting exam just before New Years and I got 100% :D Now I am onto the next class which is Accounting part 1.

My school does offer help thru me calling them or thru email. however, I would love to pick your brain at times if I get stuck at something. Speaking of, there is one thing I would like to ask you..... when I enrolled for my program I told them I wanted my diploma and not just a certificate.... it was the highest level they offered, and they said that it was a vocational program. However, when I got my program information, the very first thing it says is "Take the first step toward becoming an accountant by studying at home...." and "Get started on your career path toward becoming an accountant and enroll...". Does this mean that for me to become an accountant I will need further schooling after I get my Accounting Career Diploma? Or will I be able to get some kind of accounting job and work myself up?

I have this site set to open along with my school site whenever I open my internet, so if you want we can continue to chat on here. Thank you again for your message and advice! Hope you are having a great day! I'm gonna get back to my studies before I have to go to work lol... I'll check back later. :)

Happy New Year. Hope you enjoy your classes in 2020 and beyond. I just received my bachelor's in accounting (online university) in 2018.

One general word of advice: mentally, take it one class at a time. Looking at the fact you need lots of credits to finally complete the degree was too stressful for me....but each time I finished a course, it was a wonderful mini-achievement.

Also, not sure if your university offers it, but mine offered FREE online tutoring (via tutor.com I think) when I attended. In many topics like math and accounting and science. If you have that free service it sure is handy. I don't mind you PM'ing me on facebook (facebook.com/tempetony) but honestly I hop on facebook only ~ once weekly so not sure if my replies will be timely for your coursework questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Speaking of, there is one thing I would like to ask you..... when I enrolled for my program I told them I wanted my diploma and not just a certificate....Does this mean that for me to become an accountant I will need further schooling after I get my Accounting Career Diploma?"

To best answer, I would need to understand either or both what school you are attending AND what they are giving you. Is it a one-year equivalent certificate? Or, an associate's degree? However right off the bat, I can answer the "for me to become an accountant" question by saying that technically, NO COLLEGE EDUCATION is really needed to get lucky and break into the field. Generally speaking though for any good accounting career, one will need a bachelor's degree. I say all this from personal experience. At age 30, I had only a high school diploma. I walked into a temp agency in Phoenix looking for work. They said "we have a position at a manufacturing firm making keys, or a position at a different company as a file clerk." I opted for the file clerk job. Four months in, and the company hired me permanently, then 1 year into it they promoted me from file clerk to accounting assistant. I gained other better accounting roles there also: accounts receivable stuff, budgeting, bank reconciliations ....worked for that company a total of 17 years, and I never had any college education....just slow and sure internal job promotion and on-the-job training. By coincidence it was right when I was leaving that company that I started working on my accounting bachelor's degree.

Also research what entity accredits your school. How? I just now researched how to do so, and turns out there is a US DOE site that is wonderful at listing all that info. ed.gov/accreditation?src=rn

Then click 'look up a school' then enter school name. I found it interesting when doing so, since it lists ALL campuses of the school. For example I entered a random large school in the upper midwest and found it is accredited by the same body that my online school in Arizona was accredited by. ((FYI, I have since moved outside of AZ.))

The reason I say it is nice to know if the school is properly accredited it twofold:

1. If it is not a bachelor's and you want to later in life transfer these school credits to a school that does offer a bachelor's in accounting, that school will likely accept transfer credits only from well accredited schools only.
2. If you have even a 1% thought that you want to later in life sit for the CPA exam or other licensed exam (fraud examiner or financial advisor), state licensing requirements surely want to see that someone attains their university credits from SOLIDLY accredited schools.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for your message! Sorry I was not very informative in my original message, I am not very good at communication and have social anxiety but am working on both everyday.

I am enrolled at the International Career School (ICS) Canada... I am to get my Accounting Career Diploma with my course I am taking online. It is a globally recognized school that is fully accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). Also, it says that once I get my diploma I will be accepted into the Guild of Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional Accountants (ICIA) as an Associate Member.... or if I have enough work experience I will be eligible to be an Accredited Member.

Thank you for sharing your story with me, it gives me hope. :)

I was looking at the different accounting jobs that I can get with my diploma on https://ca.indeed.com/Accounting-Diploma-jobs and I actually like the sound of being a bookkeeper... it already pays way better than I am making now, even the lowest paying offered was already almost $4/hour more than what I am making now... and that was the lowest one! I'm not greedy, I don't care if I make a ton of money or not, I will just be happy to be out of customer service. However, I am tired of being broke all the time and worrying about bills.

I was just looking more into the jobs available near me and most of them I need at least a year preferably 2-3 years of experience to qualify for the job. The only jobs that I will be eligible for is Accounting Technician and also a Bookkeeper but at a school. I guess I could start as an accounting technician and get my experience that way.

Sorry I do not have the most formal or proper way of communicating. I thank you for reading and responding as you have to my messages. I hope you have a wonderful night... or day... whatever time you're reading this lol. :)

I am going to get back to studying now before I call it a night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh cool, Canada ! I can't recall if I mentioned in any prior post, but I am in Utah. Someday I will visit Alberta or B.C.......they are on my bucket list. (I love scenic mountains, rivers, etc.)

Yep, it will take some time for you to complete school, but rest assured, once you do, and once you are able to "escape" your current job, accounting & bookkeeping jobs certainly pay more than your average customer service or retail jobs.

I wish I could be a bit of a "consulting tutor" on occasion, but I am afraid that since Canada uses IFRS (see link I put below), well I won't know answers to most of your questions. GAAP accounting (used here in USA) is what I was taught....I learned very little of IFRS, and what I did learn I have completely forgotten, LOL. Alas, I remember the very basics of GAAP journal entries.

Ask a Question