Help, Manual Payroll in Premier 2006?


H

Harry Ipema

We installed Quickbooks Premier 2006 and went to create payroll checks
but could not do so unless we activated the service. We already
activated the product and are not interested in the service since we
are a very small company.

Are we locked into purchasing the payroll service just to cut payroll
checks?

Thanks,

Harry
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Steve Scott

No. You can enter the data manually which is what I do. Create a
blank payroll check and payroll tax template and memorize them.
 
H

Harry Ipema

Yes, we manually calculate the taxes or have our accountant do it for
us. We still like to enter the data and cut the checks (less than 5
payroll checks per month).

I've gone to the Employee Center but there is no obvious method of
entering the data into a check. For example, no transactions and for
the life of me I can not find a place to enter the data. Why does
this have to be so difficult?

Thanks
 
S

Steve Scott

If you already have the appropriate accounts (SS, MC state and federal
WH as well as any accounts you want the payroll to be posted against)
set up simply start making out a check just like any other. Don't
post any amounts. Enter the various accounts mentioned above into the
"register" portion of the check. The bottom if you're using QBPro
2006.

Save the check as a memorized transaction under the "Payroll Check".
Bring this memorized transaction up when you want to create a payroll
check.

BTW, I had some help setting up my QB. It made life much easier.
Steve & Tami Cohen at www.exactaccounting.com set QB up for me
remotely. They spent a couple of hours setting it up, answering any
questions I had and customizing what I needed to get QB working for
me. I think the cost was about $350 and was well worth every penny to
me. In case you can't tell I HIGHLY recommend them. By way of
disclosure I get nothing for a referral and have no affiliation other
than that of a satisfied client.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.
 
S

Steve Scott

I set up a spreadsheet. I enter the regular and OT hours as well as
any spiffs. The sheet calculates SS and MC. I look up federal and
state WH. It takes me less than a minute for this. The long part is
breaking the payroll up into the various jobs done in a week for entry
into QB for job tracking. Before I decided I wanted job tracking the
whole process took me maybe 3 minutes for a check.
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Allan Martin

Steve Scott said:
If you already have the appropriate accounts (SS, MC state and federal
WH as well as any accounts you want the payroll to be posted against)
set up simply start making out a check just like any other. Don't
post any amounts. Enter the various accounts mentioned above into the
"register" portion of the check. The bottom if you're using QBPro
2006.

Save the check as a memorized transaction under the "Payroll Check".
Bring this memorized transaction up when you want to create a payroll
check.

BTW, I had some help setting up my QB. It made life much easier.
Steve & Tami Cohen at www.exactaccounting.com set QB up for me
remotely. They spent a couple of hours setting it up, answering any
questions I had and customizing what I needed to get QB working for
me. I think the cost was about $350 and was well worth every penny to
me. In case you can't tell I HIGHLY recommend them. By way of
disclosure I get nothing for a referral and have no affiliation other
than that of a satisfied client.

The OP can't find a reason to invest in the basic payroll subscription
(which should be purchased by anyone using payroll) so you think he will
fork out 350.00 for a consultant? Not in this life time.
 
A

Allan Martin

Are you aware that you are entitled to one free payroll service activation?
 
H

Harry Ipema

Steve,

Thank you for all of you helpful responses. Unfortunately I can not
find anywhere to enter a payroll check. There is nothing including a
"register" which I have used in earlier versions of Quickbooks.

Frankly, I'm about to shelve the whole system.

Does payroll require another validation in order to function even when
doing it manually?
 
H

HeyBub

Harry said:
Steve,

Thank you for all of you helpful responses. Unfortunately I can not
find anywhere to enter a payroll check. There is nothing including a
"register" which I have used in earlier versions of Quickbooks.
It's on the tool bar. It's called "Check."
Frankly, I'm about to shelve the whole system.

Does payroll require another validation in order to function even when
doing it manually?
No, of course not.
 
H

Harry Ipema

It's on the tool bar. It's called "Check."
Ok, I know I'm coming across as a blundering idiot but there is
nothing in the Employee Center section that says "Check" in the
toolbar that runs from "New Employee", "Related Activities", "Print",
"Enter Time", "Excel" and "Word".

Selecting an employee from the "Employees" tab or the "Transactions"
presents no option to enter any data. And none of the pull-downs give
an option either.

I accept your comment about not validating again but it would appear I
have to in order to get this to work.
..
 
Ad

Advertisements

Q

QB_Guru_Amy

I'm sorry for all your confusion! If you do not have a payroll
subscription, you will want to turn on the manual calculation to see
the option to enter a "paycheck" in the Employee Center. There are a
couple ways to do this within the program, but I have found that the
easiest way is through the help file.

If you open QuickBooks help (F1), go to the search tab and type in
manual payroll. You will find a few help documents, each one will have
a link for setting your file to "manual payroll calculations". Click on
the link in the help document that states to click here to set your
file to manual payroll and follow the screen instructions.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Amy
http://www.quickbooksgroup.com
 
J

Joanne

Harry Ipema said:
Ok, I know I'm coming across as a blundering idiot but there is
nothing in the Employee Center section that says "Check" in the
toolbar that runs from "New Employee", "Related Activities", "Print",
"Enter Time", "Excel" and "Word".

Selecting an employee from the "Employees" tab or the "Transactions"
presents no option to enter any data. And none of the pull-downs give
an option either.

I accept your comment about not validating again but it would appear I
have to in order to get this to work.
.
Since you have chosen not to add the "Employee" features, you will not find
what you are looking for in the "Employee Center."

You will only be able to write a check as you would to any vendor. You will
not be using the "Enter Bill/Pay Bill", you will just be writing a check.

The tool bar is on the very top of the screen. Select "Check/Write a
check".

Sincerely,
Joanne
 
H

Harry Ipema

Amy,

Thank You, Thank You & THANK YOU!

Yes, it was HIDDEN in the help menu and required a Manual Payroll
Setup.

Believe me, I could not have done it without you and certainly does
not give me confidence in Intuit.

Thanks again.
 
A

Allan Martin

Harry Ipema said:
Amy,

Thank You, Thank You & THANK YOU!

Yes, it was HIDDEN in the help menu and required a Manual Payroll
Setup.

Believe me, I could not have done it without you and certainly does
not give me confidence in Intuit.
Your problem was that you were afraid it would cost you money. Pity,
because getting the tables for the first time are free of charge.
 
L

Laura

I don't think everyone is aware of that fact. I know I was not.

What exactly to you get with this free activation? Do paycheck calc, etc and
for how long?
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

klunk

What exactly to you get with this free activation? Do paycheck calc, etc
and
for how long?

Didn't we go over some this a few weeks ago in the thread:

Quickbooks 2004 Standard Payroll Sunset - 2007 or 2008?


With the free one-time payroll update (which includes Tax
Tables and Tax Forms), you get calculation until Feb 15th
of the year following the tax year of the update. So if someone
who just bought QB 2007 gets their free one-time payroll
update now, it will expire next February. If they wait until
the 2007 tax year update is available (usually mid-December),
then they can use it until Feb 2008.

The problems with this are if there are significant changes
to tax rates or forms or even a bug -- you're out of luck
unless you buy a subscription.

This page will keep you up to date on QB payroll updates:
http://www.quickbooks.com/payrollnews/

For someone who is diligent and understands what is
required, the free updates will work for a simple payroll
scenario. Unfortunately, in many cases those most likely
to want to save the ~$150/yr don't fit the bill, and will
make a mess of their payroll (IMHO).
 
A

Allan Martin

Laura said:
I don't think everyone is aware of that fact. I know I was not.

What exactly to you get with this free activation? Do paycheck calc, etc
and for how long?
You can do it all. Plus you get all the current forms at the time of inital
sign up. Payroll calculations stop on Feb 15th of next year.
 
A

Allan Martin

klunk said:
Didn't we go over some this a few weeks ago in the thread:

Quickbooks 2004 Standard Payroll Sunset - 2007 or 2008?


With the free one-time payroll update (which includes Tax
Tables and Tax Forms), you get calculation until Feb 15th
of the year following the tax year of the update. So if someone
who just bought QB 2007 gets their free one-time payroll
update now, it will expire next February. If they wait until
the 2007 tax year update is available (usually mid-December),
then they can use it until Feb 2008.

The problems with this are if there are significant changes
to tax rates or forms or even a bug -- you're out of luck
unless you buy a subscription.

This page will keep you up to date on QB payroll updates:
http://www.quickbooks.com/payrollnews/

For someone who is diligent and understands what is
required, the free updates will work for a simple payroll
scenario. Unfortunately, in many cases those most likely
to want to save the ~$150/yr don't fit the bill, and will
make a mess of their payroll (IMHO).

Mr Klunk, you are one smart fellow. How true, Those users who are unwilling
to make the small investment required are often those that need it the most.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

klunk

Allan Martin said:
The OP can't find a reason to invest in the basic payroll subscription
(which should be purchased by anyone using payroll)

I agree, ~$13/month to make sure your withholdings and deductions
are correct, as well as the capability to print 940, 941, 1099 and W2
forms, is quite reasonable. And there are several low-cost 3rd party
utilities for state tax forms, etc. not included in basic payroll.

(I know we all got pissed-off when they jacked the price from $49/yr
a few years back, but really....)
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

Manual Payroll 4
manual payroll 1
Manual Payroll 1
Manual payroll 1
Manuall Payroll 1
Manual Payroll 3
Manual Payroll 2
Manual Payroll 5

Top