Help needed possible theft

Reaction score
Hi all new to site.

I have a problem i think, I book-keep for a members club and think I may have found a problem.

the question that bothers me is this

I have looked over the previous years log back to 2005 to 2008 I took over 2008/2009 when my chosen accountant done years end every thing looked good profits up and the trend continued till now.

problem arose when i looked at the past and found a concern to me

our end of year was compared to 2007/2008 but the taken's our accountant said for 2007/08 was £29,000 but i have added together all the income put in the log and found it to be £19,000 am I missing something as my accountant did not have the years in questions log because I had started a new one.
these are my questions
1 can a new accountant get previous years results without seeing a log
2 do I need to consider anything else bar the log inputs
3 has my club been ripped of by an committee and a accountant has covered it up by adding 10k

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. No , you need to see the detail to see if it adds up to the financial statement.
2. yes Look at the bank statement and ensure that it reconciles to the G/L account representing the bank statement.
3. Not likely. If someone steals it is more likely they would report LOWER income and not higher income.
So simply start with ASKING the previous accountant to explain the 10,000 difference. And be sure the bank rec for that period reconciles to the G/L.

Ask a Question