Help with costing basics

Reaction score
I am looking at a report consist of fixed and variable costs according to department. I am to supposed to analyze the costs variance for each department but I am a little stuck here. I have the full figures in $, input of raw materials in MT and produced output in MT.

I work this out in excel. Actual and budgeted figures given. I am doing the following can anyone clarify this?

1. I should not analyze the variable cost in $ because actual and budgeted output is different. Comparing this does not give me an actual variance. Therefore I have to divide the figure with produced output before I compare this. I include the percentage of variance between actual and budget to ease the analyzing part.

2 For fixed cost, I will analyze looking at the variance in $. Because fixed costs are incurred even though there is no production. So no point dividing this with the produced output. I just use actuals minus budget to see the variance. Or should I divide this too???

What if I want to standardize the unit of measurement? How do I clean up this report? Anyone can help me please? Thank you.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For 1. You are correct. If number of actual vs budget units differs then total dollar difference is useless.

Ask a Question