USA Help

Reaction score
I am in my second year of college with the dream of becoming an Accountant and achieving my CPA license. I have yet to pick my electives. My advisor informed me that I can go for a minor and that will utilize over half of the electives that I need. My problem is I do not know what to take. I do not want to waste my education, I have worked to hard:D

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This question is better posed to upperclassmen at your college. Why? Because they (and not folks in this forum) should be aware of electives considered valuable at your particular college. For example - maybe you are in So Calif and electives are offered in entertainment industry subjects.

Reaction score
May want your minor to be in a complementary business field, but yet one that gives you further experience in something not strictly related to accounting. That opens up your options for other jobs if need be in the future. So maybe Human Resources, Management, Finance, etc. depending on what your school offers.

Reaction score
Hi! You are really smart to be thinking about other skills to pick up to complement your major. After working as an accountant for 20 years, I think that there are three key areas to consider in complementing your accounting skills. One would be to look at softer, interpersonal skill sets - psychology or organizational development. I think that the most successful accountants are more than just number crunchers; they have learned how to deliver messages to management in a way that brings them to action. Another would be marketing. If you want to own a successful practice or to rise to the level of partner in a major firm, you have to know how to market your products. Finally, I would consider a minor in technology. Financial systems are often very complicated and misunderstood. There will be jobs in financial systems for a long, long time.

Best of luck!

Steph
Founder of the 8 Minute CPE, now available in the App Store

Reaction score
Are you talking about electives within your major or electives in general? A lot of my general electives were in the music and theater departments because I'm an instrumentalist and love the arts (and, as it turns out, I got an undergrad degree in music a little while after completing my accounting degree).

Check and see if your school has any restrictions on "doubling up" on classes for accounting majors. For example, my school didn't allow accounting majors to be economics minors. Also, we couldn't take certain classes to fulfill elective credits within the major (they usually have to be upper level, so most if not all of the 100 and 200 level electives we couldn't take).

Good luck in whatever you decide! :)

Ask a Question