How can I work around of W-9 Form if we're not US company working with school district in US?

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
I'm from non-US company selling software and we have a customer from a K-12 school district in US. The customer asked me to become a vendor as her procument laws require all vendors to register. In the register packet she sent, there is a part that I need to fill in a copy of W-9 Form with Tax Identification Number.

However, our company does not come from the US so we don't have tax identification number in US. Should I provide my tax identification number from my country or could you tell me any way to solve this problem!

Thank you so much!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

For a foreign company, a W8 form is used. There are many types. So read above then fill out appropriate form and send that in to customer with an explanation that this is the appropriate form in your case.

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Hi Kirby,

Thanks so much for the answer. I even haven't had an EIN so do I have to register for an ITIN first before applying an EIN? (I'm from non-US based company)

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You’ve said this is for a
foreign company so it’s likely the irs W-8 ben-e will apply to you. That is an 8 page complicated form and it’s best if you have a local tax pro experienced with the form and who knows if your country has a tax treaty with the US help you at this point.

Last edited:

Ask a Question