How do I get W-2 from QuickBooks to Magnetic Media file


G

GaryC

Employer has over 250 employees in 2004 and is prohibited from sending
paper to IRS when submitting W-2/W-3 info. How do I create the file to
submit via disc from QuickBooks (do-it-yourself payroll). I don't see
any buttons or anything in the Help menu. Is it easier to file
electrinically or disk? Am I missing some software interface for this?
Help! Step-by-step instructions would be great. Thanks
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

L

GaryC said:
Employer has over 250 employees in 2004 and is prohibited from sending
paper to IRS when submitting W-2/W-3 info. How do I create the file to
submit via disc from QuickBooks (do-it-yourself payroll). I don't see
any buttons or anything in the Help menu. Is it easier to file
electrinically or disk? Am I missing some software interface for this?
Help! Step-by-step instructions would be great. Thanks
You didn't post your version of QB.

From the QB Premier: Contractor Edition 2003 helpfile
"QuickBooks does not support electronic filing of W-2 forms (required for
companies that file 250 or more W-2 forms for its employees). Also,
QuickBooks does not handle W-2C forms, which correct information on W-2
forms already sent to the federal government. "
 
L

L

If you have one of the 2004 versions you may be able to *PURCHASE* and add
on called E-File and Pay
http://www.payroll.com/addons/efileandpay/

Costs $$ (of course) and is not available for 2005 (?!) The service is
available for 2003 versions - but not the electronic filing of the W2's
 
G

GaryC

It is on QB Pro 2004 right now, but I could update it to Premier 2005
Accountants Version.

If I don't have the add-on, then what? Do I have to purchase a
different program? Why doesn't QuickBooks handle this?

We have some program here for payroll called Atrix. Is anyone familiar
if I can use their program for the Magnetic Media file?
 
F

forked tongue

GaryC said:
It is on QB Pro 2004 right now, but I could update it to Premier 2005
Accountants Version.

If I don't have the add-on, then what? Do I have to purchase a
different program? Why doesn't QuickBooks handle this?
Why? Because they want more of your money. They are greedy that way.
They want a chunk of every payroll. They want you to sign up for their
payroll service. Or a big DUH!!
 
A

Allan Martin

GaryC said:
It is on QB Pro 2004 right now, but I could update it to Premier 2005
Accountants Version.

If I don't have the add-on, then what? Do I have to purchase a
different program? Why doesn't QuickBooks handle this?

The typical user profile of a company using Quickbooks is 5 or less people
on the payroll. You ask why Quickbooks can't handle the reporting needs of a
company with an excess of 250 people?

Why would a company with 250 plus people on the payroll pick Quickbooks as
their accounting software in the first place? Someone screwed up big time
and it wasn't Intuit.


We have some program here for payroll called Atrix. Is anyone familiar
if I can use their program for the Magnetic Media file?
Check the manual, or read the help files.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GaryC

Thanks for your help, all of you. I'm not the greatest fan of
QuickBooks myself (and I am not among the QuickBooks haters like some
of you out there), but am awed by their audacious marketing prowess,
and their ability to fool even professional accountants sometimes, with
big important sounding words like (Pro, Premier and Enterprise), into
believing that thier software is so wonderful. Some of us are left to
pick up the pieces.

By the way if anybody has had any experience with any add-in programs
which will allow me to take care of this before the filing deadline, I
would be delighted to hear from you. Thanks.
 
F

forked tongue

Allan said:
The typical user profile of a company using Quickbooks is 5 or less people
on the payroll.
Why does Quickbooks sell a 10 user license? If a company has 10 people (per
shift) doing accounting entry just how many people do you think such a tipical
company has doing sales, production, order taking, shipping and the like? Is
the ratio 5 other employees per QB data entry person? Is it 50 others
employees per QB data entry person? Let's do the math Allan. 10 QB persons
times 50 production persons times 3 shifts = you get my point.

In any case Allan it is obvious that Quickbooks thinks their software should be
useful to companies with significantly more that 5 people on the payroll or
they would not make a 10 user version. It is this that gets people upset with
Quickbooks.
 
A

Allan Martin

GaryC said:
Thanks for your help, all of you. I'm not the greatest fan of
QuickBooks myself (and I am not among the QuickBooks haters like some
of you out there), but am awed by their audacious marketing prowess,
and their ability to fool even professional accountants sometimes, with
big important sounding words like (Pro, Premier and Enterprise), into
believing that thier software is so wonderful. Some of us are left to
pick up the pieces.

I am always being fooled by devious and misleading advertising just like
you. Just yesterday I went into a restaurant that advertised the "Worlds
greatest salad bar", well it wasn't.
 
A

Allan Martin

forked tongue said:
Why does Quickbooks sell a 10 user license? If a company has 10 people
(per
shift) doing accounting entry just how many people do you think such a
tipical
company has doing sales, production, order taking, shipping and the like?
Is
the ratio 5 other employees per QB data entry person? Is it 50 others
employees per QB data entry person? Let's do the math Allan. 10 QB
persons
times 50 production persons times 3 shifts = you get my point.

In any case Allan it is obvious that Quickbooks thinks their software
should be
useful to companies with significantly more that 5 people on the payroll
or
they would not make a 10 user version. It is this that gets people upset
with
Quickbooks.
Intuit is probably just as amazed to see users that need 10 concurrent users
still clinging to QB as you and I. Why any company with that kind of need
doesn't realize that they have outgrown QB is hard to comprehend.
 
G

Guest

Allan Martin said:
Why any company with that kind of need
doesn't realize that they have outgrown QB is hard to comprehend.
I won't comment on the 250 employee issue because we had a turnover of
3 people last year and I thought it was too high.

But now that I think about it, it wouldn't be unthinkable for a small
business to have that many employees in a year if they are all temps
either by intent or by necessity. But that number is certainly beyond
the ordinary and a $99 additional fee is not unreasonable.

Anyhow, on the outgrowing issue, Intuit is at the least indifferent
and most likely very happy that many of its customers have outgrown
Quickbooks because it can keep the data files locked and it can peddle
the same exact substandard low quality program to them for more money
by slapping the label "Premier" and "Construction Edition" and even
the puke-inducing "Enterprise Solutions" to mega-suckers for a
ridiculous $3,500 per copy.

It's a free market, etc, I know, we take some advantage of this some
times in our business too, but dammit, give something back in return
for this amount of money. The additional "features" in EE should have
been available as updates at least in the Premier editions for no
additional fees 3 years ago.

==
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GaryC

I just want a solution.

David sounds intelligent. Perhaps he just got up on the wrong side of
the bed today, who knows? Then I saw he has been named an "official
idiot" by another QuickBooks newsgroup user.

I don't think David is an "official idiot". Perhaps it's just that he
offers little in terms of positive or practical solutions, and the
attacks are presumptious, sarcastic and somewhat sophomoric. To
paraphrase that bouncy pop singer, "it's his perogative", but of little
practical use.
 
A

Allan Martin

I was talking about the need to have 10 concurrent users, not having in
excess of 250 employees.
 
G

GaryC

I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
 
G

GaryC

I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
 
F

forked tongue

GaryC said:
I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
Hire a custom programmer (talk to you IT dept.) or learn to use Google
to search the net for a canned program.

I'm sure stage one is either: 1) Export the data to Excel. 2) Export
the data using QOBDC.

It's not going to be easy. 99.9999% of the companies who had 250+
employees and use QB also subscribed to QB's payroll service and they
don't need such a program so you may be the one company in America that
does.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Someone was penny wise and pound
foolish.
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

L

GaryC said:
I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
As has been commented upon in this thread, QB does *NOT* do what you
require. An add-on, from either Intuit or a 3rd party vendor, is required.
http://www.payroll.com/addons/efileandpay/
http://www.magtax.com/
http://www.granitesoftware.com/Social Security.htm
http://marketplace.intuit.com/search.asp?category=226
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/vendorso.htm

Even tho you made a statement "By the way if anybody has had any experience
with any add-in programs which will allow me to take care of this before the
filing deadline, I would be delighted to hear from you.", it was somewhat
buried deep into the thread. You might want to try starting a new thread on
the topic of 3rd party apps for magnetic media filing of W2's, and ask for
suggestions from those who may have used them.

I suspect the number is relatively small, since there were only 4 responders
to your original topic. But, you might try fishing. You might also want to
cross-post to an accounting website, you might find some accountants who use
those 3rd party apps and are familiar with QB forms filing, but who do not
frequent this newsgroup.
 
A

Allan Martin

GaryC said:
I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
For one to know with absolute certainly the most efficient method, one would
have to try the myrid of solutions out there and compare them to each other.
It is doubtful that anyone in this group has gone through that exercise.

Have you contacted Intuit? Perhaps if you subscribe to their full service
payroll they can help you. You can always purchase a program like Winfiler
from Greatland and use that program to create the IRS file.
 
V

Victor Roberts

I still do not have a reply. What is the most efficient way get the
W-2's into the proper format for magnetic media. Does anybody out
there know how to do this? If so please let me know.
You really shouldn't be upset if you don't get an answer to a specific
question in a newsgroup such as this. We are all just users like you
who try to help each other. There is no official Intuit or QB presence
here. If a reply is not posted to any question, the reason is usually
because no one here knows the answer.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top