USA How do you organize documents?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you organize documents?
Basically, what does your folder structure look like?

Is it something like dropbox_folder\Client\Date\ ? Like dropbox_folder\acme_inc\2023\April\23\invoice2.pdf ?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It needs organised in a way that suits you/organisation. There isn't a 'one size fits all' answer to this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When it comes to organizing documents, I like to keep it simple and straightforward. I usually create a main folder for each project or client, and then organize documents within that folder based on type or category. Of course, everyone's folder structure might look a little different depending on their specific needs and preferences, but the key is to keep it organized and consistent so you can easily find what you need when you need it. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I learned my file and document organization from an old boss who was VP of IT at a Fortune 500 corporation. It has served me well for decades. It depends on a directory structure that considers document source (and data) type and organization by date. I never allow individual applications to place their own data in various directories of their own choosing, I don't used the C:\Documents concept, and I do installs in named directories at the root directiory instead of the default C:\Program Files location. And I am very critical of downloading and installing applications just to try them out. These go on a seperate machine for evaluation.

As sample:
(Underscores emphasize the folder levels):

C:
Data\
_______AllStatements_Financial\
________________________Ameritas\
_________________________________1995\

_______________________________________1995_03_31 Stmt.pdf
_______________________________________1995_06_30_Stmt.pdf
_________________________________1996\
_________________________________1997\

________________________ElanMC\
_________________________________1995\

_______________________________________MC_1995_01.pdf
_______________________________________MC_1995_02.pdf
_________________________________1996\

________________________Fidelity\
_________________________________2003\
_______________________________________MyIRA_2003_01.pdf
_______________________________________MyIRA_2003_02.pdf
_______________________________________PASAcct_2003_01.pdf
_______________________________________PASAcct_2003_02.pdf
_____DigtalPics\
_______________PhonePictures\
_______________________1990\
_______________________1991
_______________ ScannedBWPhotos\
_______________________1903\
_______________________1904\
_____ Insurance\
______________Geico
______________Progressive\
_____Quicken2014Data\
______________RQ1986\
__________________Backup\
______________RQ1987
__________________Backup\

This organization provides a straight-forward system that makes it easy to locate data. By using this, I can regularly drag-and-drop the whole Data\ directory to a network device for backup and retain multiple versions by using the same date-sensitive naming style such as:

DataBackup_2023_01\
DataBackup_2023_02\

This way I don't feel I need to do complete drive backups as often.

Another organizational thing I do is keep a directory called:
C:\Installs\
with appropriate subdirectories for each installed application which can all be dragged to a network storage location which would make a full recovery quick and simple in the event of a machine failure. Doing this keeps me organized for a recovery effort and makes me comfortable with fewer full-image backups.

I also keep a Microsoft OneNote system in which is recorded all my software keys and registrations, and even all of the miriad of user names and password history for many websites.

Lastly, I keep a document with info on my will and all current financial info such as insurance, real estate, taxes, etc in one place to make it easy for my wife and children to handle business for my estate.

For the record, I have organized my financial data in Quicken beginning with my first life insurance investment account my Dad began for me in 1943.

Last edited:

Ask a Question