USA How important is the accounting AACSB accreditation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi new to the forum,

I am wondering how essential the accounting aacsb accreditation is (I understand that the basic aacsb acc. is important). I'm wondering how important it is compared to the ranking/reputation of the university.

Here's why I'm asking: I am an undergraduate majoring in geography with a possible economics minor. I recently realized that I no longer want to go down the city planner and GIS career path and would like to try accounting. I am looking at a couple grad schools in my state and their pre-req's.

The schools are: CU Denver, CU Boulder, University of Denver, and possibly Colorado State.

CU Denver and DU have the accounting accreditation. DU is expensive and CU Denver (where I go now) is affordable, but lower ranking/reputation.

CU Boulder has a much higher ranking/reputation, has more job fairs, etc. but does not have the accounting acc; just the basic aacsb. (Other reasons why I want to go to CU Boulder is that it is only 25-30 minute drive from where I live, looks like it has daytime classes, as CU Denver mostly has nighttime classes, and is more affordable than DU).

So my question is, does the national ranking of a university outweigh the accounting accreditation compared to a lower ranking university that has the accounting accreditation?

Ask a Question