USA How much does the school matter where you earn your MS?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering getting a MS in Accounting from the 2 least expensive schools in my area. Those 2 schools being Baruch College (CUNY) in NYC and SUNY Old Westbury on Long Island. The cost for the 1 2/3 - 2 years is close for tuition and fees (est. roughly $23,450 (SUNY) and $25,000 (CUNY) to complete either program), but the transportation cost for the train to Baruch would add roughly another $5500 during that time, and a daily commute of 3 1/2 - 4 hours (train, drive to station, walking). Fuel cost by car to the SUNY campus would likely not add up to more than $1000 during that time. Baruch is considered one of the very best schools for Accounting and Taxation. Would the extra cost and time involved in commuting to Baruch be worth it? Will it give me more and better opportunities, or would a high GPA from SUNY get me just as far? Income starting out is very important. Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm from your area of the country and have heard of both of those... I don't see the difference between Baruch and SUNY Old Westbury to be of any significance when finding a job. You should do what you can reasonably afford without debt... don't bet away your future.

The people who make the most money usually have connections... without the connections, its a 'crap shoot'.

As long as its a reputable accredited college, you'll have plenty of opportunity in life if you are willing to work hard and act properly.

Of course if you're Dad was giving you $150k for grad school and had a lot of buddies in executive positions in the city... you could probably make a lot of money after graduation faster than others, however if you are on your own, do what you can afford and work hard.

Ask a Question