How should an accountant dress as

Reaction score
Just curious. I remember the stereotype in the old days that accountants were in appearance practically "nerds". They dress up like old fashioned intellectuals and the popular image is that they look very refined.

Do modern accountants still fit this image? Or has times changed? Just curious thats how accountants are always portrayed-refined and in business suits and (if the particular accountant is a handsome fellow) dreamy.

Silly thread I know but I can't help but post. This was what I pictured me being like when I would dream about being an accountant in my teen years. :D

Reaction score
In my practice I like to be "smart casual" and we do "dress down Fridays".

This is for two reasons:

1. I realised early on that many clients find accountants who are "suited and booted" to be quite intimidating and this was not the image I wanted to portray.
2. My clients are paying for my expertise, not my dress sense.

My clients are quite used to me turning up in motorcycle leathers. They'd probably die of shock if I turned up in a suit! :D

Ask a Question