How to allocate Unearned income in two states

Jan 13, 2013
Reaction score
I have large short and long term capital gains (from stocks) and lived in Massachusetts for 9 months of last year of then 3 months in New Hampshire. Massachusetts taxes short term and long term capital gains and New Hampshire does not. Do I prorate the capital gains over the year to each state or specifically allocate the capital gains earned while living in each state?

Allocating the gains seems to make more sense and would be more beneficial based on the timing of the gains but I can't seem to figure out which way is correct. Thanks for any help.



Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question