How to calculate net profit and inc/dec receivables when company uses Direct method for cash flow

Discussion in 'General Accountancy Discussion' started by LeanneJoy, Jan 13, 2019.

1. LeanneJoy

LeanneJoy

Hi, I am a post grad student, and need data that is not included in the Direct method for cash flow statement. But it is available if companies use the Indirect method. How can I recreate this data using just annual reporting data for Indonesian companies.

I require (1) net profit/loss at start, and (2) increase/decrease in receivables. Both are cash flow figures.

I am unsure if CFS net profit/loss is the Income Statement's Profit/Loss before or after tax.

And I cannot work out how to calculate the increase/decrease in account receivables from operating activities. I have tried replicating t-accounts from the data, but this is not working either.

Note, I only have the annual report to get data from.

With thanks

LeanneJoy, Jan 13, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. LeanneJoy

kirby VIP Member

For the change in receivables, look at the balance sheets for both years and calculate the change in the amounts.
    And as usual in analyzing a financial statement, if the specific data you need is not there, make a reasonable assumption using the data and state it in your report and go forward.

kirby, Jan 14, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question