How to File Taxes for E-Commerce Store Last Year With No Profit

USA Discussion in 'Businesses / Corporations' started by arronyanx, Aug 9, 2017.

1. arronyanx

arronyanx

Hi,

I opened my own e-commerce store December of last year through my own website and on Etsy. I have invested about $4,000 into the store (including website design, photography, inventory, packaging, online hosting, business cards, etc) throughout the year and have only made $500 in sales for 2016 since I launched the store in the last month of the year. Foolishly, I didn't do my taxes for my online store earlier this year and now, I have a few questions on how I should go about this.

Since I have used a large amount of money to set up the store in 2016, would those expenses carry over to 2017 to reflect a loss? Without those initial investments, it would seem like I have made a profit for 2017, which is inaccurate since I still haven't broken even yet.

What kind of forms should I fill out to file taxes for an e-commerce store? I'm the sole proprietor and is also located in New York.

Thank you for your help in advance!

arronyanx, Aug 9, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. arronyanx

Drmdcpa VIP Member

You need a CPA. Too many issues too many unknowns to discuss here.

Drmdcpa, Aug 9, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question