How to Get Entry-Level Office Work

Ram

Reaction score
I'm an accounting student now, currently still in pursuit of an associates until I move on from there. I'd like to get a foot in the door with just basic office work. Anything, so long as it's vaguely related to accounting as I need a part-time job while I study. I mean, ideally I'd land a paid internship at a company in finance or accounting or something. So, I have two questions:

1. What are some of the most useful skills I could acquire immediately that would make me somewhat economically viable? A typing course and certification of some kind I could knock out in a few months? I'm already planning on taking all my tech courses next semester - accounting software, spreadsheets and databases. But that's a bit far away. I also don't have any experience handling cash on the job, so I can't even be a bank teller.

2. What's a good way to get my foot in the door without a completed degree? In anything? I went to a job fair at school and did get a bunch of information that looked really promising, but, alas, I'm starting to run into dead-ends. State, local and federal jobs seem the most promising, I've just got to keep an eye out for appropriate listing when they appear. There's also hotel night clerk that would involve some accounting entries during the night - a great opportunity, but doing so would mean that I'd have to sleep in two shifts a day of four hours each to make it work with my schedule. I'm really not sure what that'd do to my body, but I have indeed heard of it before.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
A storefront tax service might get you started in the tax industry, but the pay is low and work at those operations is part-time as well as seasonal. Better employment prospects are available on tax preparation staffs at small local accounting firms. They will hire people with no experience as long as they have some proven skills. You can develop tax expertise by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. You can take the course at Enrolled Agent Exam Review and Study Guide to have all the knowledge needed for preparing tax returns. A small tax practice will then train with software and file documentation procedures. The course should take two to three months.

Ask a Question