USA How to handle taxes from voided pension checks in previous year

Reaction score
I work for a pension system and we are using a new death index and found quite a few people who have died, but in previous months. Since we were not notified we kept issuing pension checks. I have no problems with the current year checks because we can take a credit on a tax payment for the void, but I am confused how to handle the prior year taxes. I have searched the internet and the IRS website and have not been able to find a solution. The 945X is for an administration error and this is not. We issued the checks in the previous year, issued a 1099R and filed the 945 appropriately. If we are getting the monies back from the estate we get the gross amount, but in some cases we are able to pull back the ACH and this is where I have a problem. Should I issue a corrected 1099R or how can I take the credit on taxes this year without creating too much of a headache with the IRS? Any help would be appreciated!

Ask a Question