USA How to handle taxes on a side job

Reaction score
Last time and only time I have filed for my taxes was on 2010. I have been unemployed and a full time student since then. I still live with my parents and have been making some income here and there on side jobs.

So the above is once scenario where I have not report taxes in 4 years. I am now in a small steady side job income where I give people a ride where they need to go because they can't drive. They are mostly close friends and people I have known for a while. I use my mom van and she pays the insurance and monthly payment on the car. Is getting paid off in 3 months by the way.

I average I am making about 700 a week before expenses. Main expenses on this is food, gas, and a couple of car maintenance cost. Gas expenses including food is about 300 total in a week. So I am going home with about 400 sometimes a little more it depends how it goes.
Is mostly cash how I get paid.

I have personal expenses which is about $400 monthly I give my parents in cash for rent, cell phone bill ($55), gym membership ($30), hosting service I have for websites online ($10), domain yearly fee ($20).

This side job is only temporary, which I am saving to fund an import E-Commerce business I am currently working on. Which is why I decided to open a business account and deposit the profit I have made from my side job so far. I formed an LLC company and applied for an EIN #.

I am working on setting up an online store to sell a product I am planning in importing soon from China.

I really don't have much money saved up due to side job expenses and personal expenses. How do I go about my taxes? Should I just wait until next year meanwhile my E-commerce business takes off for now? I am not sure what to do here, the reason I am unemployed is because I am hard of hearing so finding a job is a bit difficult and very narrow for me to find a job where I fit in right.

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to try to find a place nearby where they might be able to give you a free estimate. Since you're a full time student you may qualify for an educational credit. Bad thing is that you're being paid in cash so you're probably going to owe. But you're car expenses and the possible educational credit might help.

Ask a Question