USA How to record free office supplies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our vendor offered free supplies since that was our first order with them. How to record such free supplies in our book?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Spring2022

Assuming this gift came from a domestic vendor and was not absolutely huge, you would "record" the supplies at the cost you paid for them, which is zero. So meaning nothing is recorded.

Regards

Kat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello.
I'd still record the purchase so you have a record of it one of two ways:
1> post the full price, then post a credit (negative amount) noting it was a "first purchase incentive" or whatever you'd like to call it You meet cost will be zero and you have a record of details.

OR...
2>Post the purchase with a $0 cost.
Personally i prefer option 1.
It shows all the activity and also gives the correct net result.

Hope this is helpful.

Michele Hunnewell
BizPro Financial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But was there a supplier invoice provided to you for the free office supplies? if so what was indicated on the docs?

DrStrangeLove

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello.
I'd still record the purchase so you have a record of it one of two ways:
1> post the full price, then post a credit (negative amount) noting it was a "first purchase incentive" or whatever you'd like to call it You meet cost will be zero and you have a record of details.

OR...
2>Post the purchase with a $0 cost.
Personally i prefer option 1.
It shows all the activity and also gives the correct net result.

Hope this is helpful.

Michele Hunnewell
BizPro Financial
I think Method 1 is the right way. You can book the fair value of the free supplies as a discount off the order including the free supplies, so that the total order amount, and A/P amount and the eventual cash paid all come out right.

Ask a Question