USA HSBC account closings

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a checking account closed out of the blue? I got a letter asking for more personal information to keep my account details up-to-date and called on the deadline date, but then they closed my account anyway without any further contact - at all. So I heard from a utility that the bank didn't pay my autopay amount and loads of fun ensued which includes my pay direct deposit being in limbo. Is this happening to many people? I never paid fees for my account, but that's no reason to shut it down without telling me.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Banks have a right to close your account for any reason and is in the fine print when you opened the account. There could be any number of reasons why they would do this so I would contact them and ask them directly. No one here will have the exact reason. Reasons I have seen in the past include passing bad checks, overdrawn, they are unable to verify information from account holder, you are a foreign national and potentially on the watch list or deal with foreign operations/individuals on a terrorist watch list and suspicions of money laundering if you make a lot of deposits into the account. Or it could just be a mistake. Either way call them and get the real answer from them.

Ask a Question