UK I am getting penalty notices for unpaid tax from HMRC UK even if now i am in India.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello,

Great to have this platform to share the concerns we have.

I lived in UK for for years 2010-2014. I studied for 2 years and then worked for 2 years. Always worked on NI number.

I am receiving unpaid Tax notice here in India from HMRC. It seems like they started sending the notice with the reason i did not file my tax return. And then the amount's been increasing rapidly. Now it is £4429.21. I didn't know why i had to file return when i was in UK. My Bank transaction was normal. I used to get paid on NI number only.

Can i appeal ? With what reason can i appeal ? What shall i do please ?

Please give me the best solution. I will highly appreciate any help i could receive from you.

Thank you

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
You should get in touch with HMRC as soon as possible to resolve this - it won't go away if you ignore it!

When you worked in the UK were you employed or self-employed? If you were employed, your employer should have deducted income tax and NICs from your pay. You would have been given payslips and forms P60/P45 which will show the deductions from your pay. Hopefully this is just a case of HMRC having incorrect information, but if you don't get in touch with them to resolve the matter you will not know.

Reaction score
Country
India
I was employed and also used to sell on ebay. I used to receive about £400 to £500 from ebay each month for few months.

Yes, I was given P45 which i think i should show them. Panelty started with the reason "late return filing".

One more question.
With what reason can i claim the removal of penalty? What reasons do they consider ?

Thank for your help.

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have got your P45 that's excellent. You probably won't need to show them a copy, just put the figures from it on to your tax return.

Regarding the penalty, HMRC have published guidance about penalty removal:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/reasonable-excuses

As you can see, you need to have a really good reason!

Ask a Question