USA Incentive funds received from a state

Reaction score
We are a new business and so have applied for funding from the state in which we have just opened an R&D facility - we just received funding which can be used to purchase equipment, job training, etc. There is no obligation to pay these funds back. I chose to book this as a credit to facility costs in the P&L since we were eligible to receive the 1st payment upon entry into our facility lease. I now have someone questioning how i booked this. I could not find any accounting guidance. Any comments would be appreciated

Reaction score
More information would be needed, e.g., what is this lease upon which the funding is based, when is year end, what are the costs currently incurred, when does R&D begin, etc.

My gut feel from the limited information above is that you were incorrect to recognise the full amount as it stands in P&L. Rather, you ought to have deferred it over the period within which costs would be incurred, in order to match the revenue with the underlying costs.

Ask a Question