Initial Investment

Reaction score
I have just started quickbooks for my small business. Prior to opening an official bank account, I made a purchase on my personal credit card as an initial investment and paid my credit card bill from my personal bank account. How do I record this initial investment in quickbooks?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When you (Phoffman) mase the inital purchase on your own dime you - in theory =created a receivable from your business owed to you personally. So now on quickbooks set up the missing liability of the business owed to you, then pay it.

Reaction score
Hi,

im slightly confused, would this initial investment not be looked upon as capital and entered into the Balance Sheet in the Capital account???

Reaction score
When a biz owner pays a business expense from his/her personal funds, the treatment on the company's books could either be a payable to the owner (as Kirby suggested) or a capital contribution by the owner, recorded on the balance sheet as equity.

Which treatment is chosen depends primarily on the owner's intention as to repayment: If he intends to reimburse himself pretty soon from company funds, I'd set it up as a short-term payable on the company's books, pending reimbursement. If OTOH the owner is viewing his expenditure as a form of contribution to the company's capital, then the latter treatment would be more in alignment with that thinking.

In this particular case, PHoffmann used the terminology "...as an initial investment..." and so I'd be inclined toward the treatment suggested by Penpusher.

Ask a Question