USA International Student with US Rental Income

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I and my wife need help filing our US tax return(s) for 2016. Below is a brief summary of our case. Do you know anyone who can help us with this?

From what I have read so far, I am pretty sure we both need to file a Form 8843 but beyond that, I am not sure what to do. I cant decide if each of us need to file a 1040NR and Schedule E halving the income and deductions between each other or is it enough if just one of us does that showing the full income and deductions.

Thanks in advance for all replies and recommendations
Barlas

1) Hande (34, wife) and Barlas (41, husband) are citizens of Turkey. They are temporarily in TX, USA on F1 (Hande) and F2 (Barlas) visas.

2) Hande and Barlas obtained their F1/F2 visas in late 2014 and Hande enrolled her first semester as a full time student in Brookhaven College in Farmers Branch, TX in January 2015

3) Both are Non Resident Aliens for tax purposes and will establish this fact by filing Form 8843

4) Neither one had a US source income before 2016. Neither one has ever filed a US tax return before .

5) Barlas bought an investment property, a townhouse in Plano, TX in 2015. Since Texas is a joint ownership state, the townhouse is considered jointly owned by Barlas and Hande. They lived in it in 2015 and moved out to a bigger house in the beginning of 2016 renting away the town house. The town house generated rental income in 2016 details of which are as follow:
  • The house is fully furnished. They rented it as a short term /vacation rental for several days in 2016
  • They have not personally used the townhouse in 2016. Whenever it was not rented, it remained unoccupied.
  • All the utility bills and HOA fees were paid by Barlas. The property tax was paid by Barlas. All the cleaning, repair and maintenance bills were paid by Barlas.
  • The rental income was received either by bank wire from AirBnB (nothing withheld by AirBNB) or in the form of personal checks directly from tenants. All wire transfers went into Barlas' checking account in Chase Bank Plano and all checks were deposited into the same account. Hande is a joint user of said checking account.
6) Barlas and Hande did not have any other US sourced income in 2016.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks more like homework. Good luck with that.
And if it is not homework, it is so complex you really need to engage a bona fide tax person on this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is real. I don't know if I made it sound more comlex than it really is. Basically, we are non-residents here in the USA on an F1/F2 student visa; we have rental income and we need to pay income tax. It is proving really difficult to find a CPA who is confident he or she can handle this. Any referrals will be most welcome.

Reaction score
Country
Armenia
The house is fully furnished. They rented it as a short term /vacation rental for several days in 2016
why?

Ask a Question