Internships

Reaction score
Ok. So I'm new to this site. I decided to switch majors into Accounting after trying out both engineering and nursing. I fell in love with Accounting immediately lol.

So I'm currently working on my Bachelor's degree and was wanting to start looking at internships. So I have a few questions.

Where do I start looking for internships at?
How far into my degree plan should I be before I look for interships?
What are companies looking for when it comes to internships?

I want to start in an internship early. My biggest fear is graduating and not being able to find my job due to lack of experience. :( I have work experience just nothing in the Accounting field.

Reaction score
It seems to me the obvious place to start would be at your school's career center. They typically have internships listed.

Reaction score
School career center.. exhaust the campus interviewing process first

Of course it's tough out there, so if that doesn't pan out there are other sources - families, friends, classified ads, Monster, Accountemps, etc all occasionally post intern/temp/pt accounting work. Charities and non-profits can often use accounting help for various projects, too. Of course, there is the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, which you might be able to get into.

I would say - the more, the better! It all adds value to your resume, and gives you good networking opportunities and professional experiences. Some might just be duds - they might stick you in a corner just doing data entry all day, so you don't want to put all your eggs in 1 basket when it comes to internships.

Ask a Question