USA Investment strategy - tax burden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I am opening an Investment account and have 2 tax strategies. Either open it in my wife's name only or open it jointly. Here's the specifics:
1. We are not technically married. We live in Texas and can be common law if we choose.
2. I make 100K/year and she has no income. Currently, I file as Single and she doesn't file.
3. There would be no other income besides my salary and the Investment income.
Which strategy is better for keeping the tax burden at its lowest. Thank you!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If it is in your wife's name, then income for fed tax is hers if she files separately from you and so is taxed at lower rates than if that income got added to yours, which has a higher tax rate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
to go along with what kirby said - if it is in your wife's name, that would be her only income. Depending on the amount earned, it could be below the threshhold and she still wouldn't have to file. Even if she does, with all the exemptions, she probably still would have very little to have to pay tax on.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Be weary that if you open in her name the account is hers and she can take the money out anytime she wants. Everyone believes that this wont happen without their consent but it happens more than you think especially when you hit a rough patch. May not be worth the tax save to give up ownership over the account. Unless you expect a sizeable amount of NII (around 50K annually) I would not recommend it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think it would be too confusing to keep it as a joint and i don't think i would recommend it at all. Personal opinion I guess.

Ask a Question