Is an accounting job right for me? No prior knowledge of the business/financial field

Reaction score
I'm deciding whether I should major in accounting or not. I've spent a year taking science classes and realized science is probably not my strength.

Is accounting a good fit for me? I know nothing of the business world or any kind of money-related knowledge yet. But I am very hardworking and have very good work ethics. I always study and tend to pay attention to detail. I like doing jobs where it's more objective rather than subjective. I like working with numbers and crunching numbers because it's pretty straightforward.

I feel like being an accountant could be an appropriate fit for me but I'm not sure if I'd be able to succeed at it because I have no prior knowledge of the business and financial field.
I also don't know if I have the interview and personality skills to get an accounting job.

I hear it's a VERY difficult process to become an accountant, especially when taking the CPA exam.

If anyone could offer me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my MBA. I also work for the family business, it's a small, but high-volume retail store. So I'm not a certified accountant or anything, but I'll take a stab at your question.

First thing you should do, go to itunes U and start watching lectures that cover accounting and finance. I think you'll find out pretty quickly whether it's something that interests you or not.

I'm learning accounting because I need it to do my job. I actually really enjoy accounting. I wasn't good at math in school (failed engineering, graduated in anthropology). My accounting prof. this semester said "Accounting is an art, not a science." Obviously basic numeracy is necessary, but many of my fellow students are great at math but struggle with accounting.

I'm approaching accounting from the management end, and the most important thing, is being able to conceptualize how to solve problems. I couldn't say how important math is for the CPA. I always did well in the less math-intensive sciences. So if you're not doing well with science, accounting might not be a good fit.

I think knowing basic accounting/finance principles is crucial for everyone who lives in a capitalist society. Since I've started my program, I've completely overhauled how I think about and manage my personal finances.

Reaction score
You're in school so that you can LEARN, so it isn't a bad thing you don't have a lot of prior knowledge. If you are dedicated to learning and enjoy the material, you should do fine!

Reaction score
I think accounting is quite simple.Having had no prior knowledge in business and accounting studies at elementary and secondary level and Ordinary level, I took it that accounting was difficult.Notwithstanding,I've had good grounding in maths and science,I found that accounting is a piece of cake.Of course you've got to have good memory to master the principles in accounts and that's where history,geography or other sciences requiring mastery come in as handy. If you are good at remembering forms,then accounting is for you.Actually, I can't equate the dedication required for ordinary level or advanced level maths to that required in accounting. I'm currently reading for my Bachelors of science in forensic auditing and accounting.Before that I attended police training and persued a Diploma in private investigations. So there you are!

Ask a Question