Is it worth me keeping my American Express Card


K

Ken

When a number of places don't take them. I don't know why?
And when they keep telephoning me to talk about new aspects to their
service. I explain I don't expect telephone calls from my credit card
provider.
Is there anything about their card that should make me hesitate about
cancelling?

Ken
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Tiddy Ogg

When a number of places don't take them. I don't know why?
And when they keep telephoning me to talk about new aspects to their
service. I explain I don't expect telephone calls from my credit card
provider.
My policy is to ditch any firm that makes such calls, sends junk mail,
etc.

Tiddy Ogg.
http://www.tiddyogg.co.uk
 
D

davidof

Ken said:
When a number of places don't take them. I don't know why?
because Amex are slow payers. I don't remember when I last found a shop
that took them.
 
R

Ronald Raygun

davidof said:
because Amex are slow payers. I don't remember when I last found a shop
that took them.
You don't shop in Tesco, Asda, or Sainsbury?
 
J

Jonathan Bryce

Ken said:
When a number of places don't take them. I don't know why?
And when they keep telephoning me to talk about new aspects to their
service. I explain I don't expect telephone calls from my credit card
provider.
Is there anything about their card that should make me hesitate about
cancelling?
Depends which card you have. Mine pays 1% cashback on expenditure about
£2,000 per year, so it is worth it for me. I've never had any phone calls
from them.

The reason some shops don't take them is the charges are higher than for
Visa and Mastercard.
 
K

Ken

Ronald Raygun said:
You don't shop in Tesco, Asda, or Sainsbury?
Yes but use debit card for that type of purchase.
Twice in past month found shops not taking American Express one the CoOp and
then buying bedding online.

Ken
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Ken

Jonathan Bryce said:
Depends which card you have. Mine pays 1% cashback on expenditure about
£2,000 per year, so it is worth it for me. I've never had any phone calls
from them.

The reason some shops don't take them is the charges are higher than for
Visa and Mastercard.
I spend around £12,000 to £15,000 per year and got one as business friend,
like you gets annual cashback.

Ken
 
L

lancmeister

because Amex are slow payers. I don't remember when I last found a shop
that took them.
I struggle to find places that dont take them to be honest. Much
improved from a decade ago.
I wouldnt be without mine, suits the way I manage my finances.

Never had a call, and got lots of help when stung by a cypriot car
hire firm a couple of years ago
 
K

Ken

lancmeister said:
I struggle to find places that dont take them to be honest. Much
improved from a decade ago.
I wouldnt be without mine, suits the way I manage my finances.

Never had a call, and got lots of help when stung by a cypriot car
hire firm a couple of years ago
I think the fact we had two declines in a one month period and them calling
several times in the past week has put me off. But I may well call them and
ask them not to telephone me.

Ken
 
A

Alex

At 11:55:37 on 07/06/2007, Ken delighted uk.finance by announcing:
Why Not?? Note sure what is odd about using debit card?
Why do you assume it's odd? I'm just wondering what you *do* use a
credit card for and why supermarkets would be excluded.
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alex

At 12:22:56 on 07/06/2007, Ken delighted uk.finance by announcing:
Two credit cards, one for home use on £30 or more,
Any particular reason for that?
the other for my
business expenses. Use cash at supermarket when under £20 and debit
card if more.
Why?

FWIW - I use my credit card everywhere it's taken, otherwise cash
(which is very rare). I only use debit card for CNP transactions where
CC isn't accepted.
 
K

Ken

Alex said:
At 12:22:56 on 07/06/2007, Ken delighted uk.finance by announcing:


Any particular reason for that?


Why?

FWIW - I use my credit card everywhere it's taken, otherwise cash
(which is very rare). I only use debit card for CNP transactions where
CC isn't accepted.
Free world and we are all different!
 
A

Adrian Boliston

Two credit cards, one for home use on £30 or more, the other for my
business expenses.
Use cash at supermarket when under £20 and debit card if more.
Always pay off credit cards every month.
The trouble with cash is remembering where it has been spent!

I try and track what I have spent using "Quickbooks", and it's a simple
matter of logging onto my credit card's website and entering what I've
spent, but I (reluctantly) have to draw *some* cash each month for things
like parking, bar drinks etc where it's not easy to use plastic, and there
is always a difference between cash actually in my wallet and the cash
balance quickbooks says I have!
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon H

Alex said:
FWIW - I use my credit card everywhere it's taken, otherwise cash
(which is very rare). I only use debit card for CNP transactions where
CC isn't accepted.
Why?
 
G

Gordon H

Ken said:
I think the fact we had two declines in a one month period and them calling
several times in the past week has put me off. But I may well call them and
ask them not to telephone me.

Ken
Are you sure it was really them who were calling, and not a scammer
after details for I/D theft?

(Not that you would have fallen for it)!
 
K

Ken

Gordon H said:
Are you sure it was really them who were calling, and not a scammer after
details for I/D theft?

(Not that you would have fallen for it)!
Good point but I am too savvy to fall for this sort of scam. (Famous last
words)

They have telephoned before in fits and starts and when they try and get me
they are known to persist through the week telling my wife it is only me
they can speak to. On the odd time when they have got me I have made it very
clear I do not expect them to make any contact with me by telephone.

Perhaps you are right - a scam - perhaps I need to call AE and ask if they
have a policy of contacting card holders by telephone.

Ken
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
person Ken said:
Perhaps you are right - a scam - perhaps I need to call AE and ask if they
have a policy of contacting card holders by telephone.
They do. But only from India, and only at inconvenient times. They
quintuple the normal rate if they believe you are behind with payments
(like when I declined to pay my bill for someone else's air ticket).
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top