USA Is the fee for forming a LLC considered a personal or business expense on a tax form?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using my personal funds, I gave the state and a registering service $199 altogether to form a new LLC. :D I wasn't going to count this as a business startup expense on my tax forms, because the business wasn't alive yet, ;) didn't have a bank account, or EIN#. :cool:

I asked my state tax department which to list it as- :cool: just to make sure, and they referred me to the IRS, :eek: because it turns out this is a federal tax form issue. :oops: Um, do any of you happen to know whether I may write this down as a personal expense? I'm kind of hoping not to bother the IRS :eek: … ever. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I classify such expenses as part of the start up costs and you can deduct them on the business tax return after the business opens its door. There is a $5000 cap for such expenses rest has to be amortized over 180 months.

Ask a Question